This recipe was given to me by my parents in-law, Nigel & Sue Mackenzie of the Hungry Monk, Jevington, Sussex. It’s a delicious, warming side dish that works well with roast meats and hearty winter mains.
Serves 4 – 6
- 3 tbsp Lucy’s Classic Balsamic Dressing
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Place all the ingredients in an ovenproof casserole dish with a good fitting lid.
- Add the Lucy’s Balsamic Dressing and stir well.
- Place in the middle of the oven for approx. 2 hours. Stir twice during cooking, until just tender.
- Drain the cabbage, if desired, and before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish (This is a great recipe to make in advance if you are having people for dinner. Once cooked and drained you can leave to cool then store in the fridge or freezer. Simply place in the microwave, covered with cling film, and heat until warmed through before serving)